Monday 26 October 2009

Being a Reds fan taught me much

If you are a Liverpool fan you will know what it means to be supporting this team since Roy Evans era. I was a childhood supporter only because my brother was a Liverpool fan. I only started really understanding and watching Liverpool at the end of Roy Evans reign and when Houllier took over.

The ups and downs of a Liverpool fan is not for the faint of heart but it has taught me many things.

No 1 lesson: He who cannot master his emotions cannot master himself.

I use to spent my mondays drowning in sorrow after each Liverpool losses to second string teams or top 4 teams in the premier league. After a long struggle with these extreme mood swings, i learnt one very important thing. That is, to let go of your emotions and attachment of things that are beyond your control. I cannot play for Liverpool and help them win the league can I?

No 2 lesson: Patience and Determination

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. I must admit, I switch the television off and went to bed at half time when Liverpool was down 3-0 to A C Milan in Istanbul on that faithful night. They were outplayed and outclassed in the first half. I woke up in the morning and saw the barrage of messages on Liverpool's win. I was confused to say the least. After watching the replay on the telly, tears was rolling in my eyes. We did the Improbable, never will i give up before the final whistle. Thank you Gerrald, thank you Smicer, Thank You Alonso and thank you Dudek for the memories.

No. 3 lesson: Consistency

To win the War you have to win both the big and small battles. I realize that after Liverpool's win over Manu last night. These are the matches they win, they showed determination and their workrate all round was superb, you can see the players all fired up for this match. You don't see this when they are playing Wigan or Hull City. That is the difference.

So who said you cant learn anything from football? You'll never walk alone!

No comments: